Legend for Icons
 Article    Q&A

 Podcast  Video

 Blog  Discussions

PDF    Powerpoint Web

  Home >> Accounts  
Deposit Goes to Wrong Person's Account

I wrongly deposited a sum of money into someone's account. The bank put a lien on his account and now my money is blocked. What can I do to recover my money?


We assume the bank is investigating the origins of the deposit and wants to confirm where it was intended to go. You will have to ask them what they are investigating and when they expect to be done.

If they believe a check was deposited to the wrong account, they may reverse it and apply it as intended. If it appears you have a disagreement with the owner of the account and are trying to use the bank to recapture money you paid them, that is a separate issue. Certainly, your case is unusual and only the bank into which you made the deposit can answer your questions.

Published on 12/29/09