Legend for Icons
 Article    Q&A

 Podcast  Video

 Blog  Discussions

PDF    Powerpoint Web

  Home >> Accounts >> Checking Accounts  
I Can't Pay the Bank Fees!

I recently have become overdrawn and with the NSF and other fees, I now owe the bank close to $500. I just lost my job and have no way to repay the money for at least a month. What will happen? Can the bank prosecute me?

The bank is more interested in getting its money than taking you to court. In fact, if you go to the bank and explain your circumstances, you may be able to get a rebate of some of the fees. Then, make a plan to repay the remaining fees as soon as you are able. Start by working your way out of your current overdraft. Then do your best to avoid a repeat of the situation.

Published on 5/01/08