Legend for Icons
 Article    Q&A

 Podcast  Video

 Blog  Discussions

PDF    Powerpoint Web

  Home >> Checks/Money Orders  
Placing Stop Payment on Cashier's Check

Can I place a stop-payment on a cashier's check that the payee never received and have another one written?


In almost every state in the country (Washington state and South Carolina are two known exceptions), there is a provision in the Uniform Commercial Code that would allow you to make a "lost, stolen or destroyed" claim with the issuing bank. The law then entitles you to reimbursement after ninety days counting from the date of the check.

Your bank may be willing to reimburse you earlier than the ninety day waiting period, but it is not obliged to do this. Contact the bank and ask about filing a claim under section 3-312 of the Uniform Commercial Code (in New York, it's section 4-403).

Published on 12/11/07