Legend for Icons
 Article    Q&A

 Podcast  Video

 Blog  Discussions

PDF    Powerpoint Web

  Home >> Checks/Money Orders >> Checks You Received  
Cashing Check as Power of Attorney

My brother is currently incarcerated and received a refund check. He does not have a checking account. If he authorizes me as power of attorney, can I cash or deposit it?

Your brother could issue a power of attorney, and he might consider doing so if he will need your help in other matters. For this one check, he could simply endorse the check to you, and you should then be able to deposit it to your account. You can settle up with your brother in whatever way you agree, and the authorities will permit.

Published on 5/21/08