PDF    Powerpoint
BankingQuestions.com Web

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#3469 - 12/13/04 01:38 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Fraud Pup Offline
Diamond Discusser

Loc: Soonerland
She will be liable to her bank. Her recourse is you and yours seems to be untraceable.

A snowmobile? In Nigeria?? I'm guessing that you still have the snowmobile? If so, I would suggest selling it locally, if possible, and the money to your girlfriend when this comes back.

#3470 - 12/13/04 02:02 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like I said long story short. The guy had responded and it took him so long to respond again I sold it locally. After I told him I sold it he said he had sent the check anyway and if I'd wire it back to him I could cash it and keep $150 for my troubles. Bottom line, there really is no such thing as free money. Do you think either of us would get accused of forging the check?????

#3471 - 12/13/04 02:27 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Fraud Pup Offline
Diamond Discusser

Nope. The check will come back as "counterfeit" or "fictitious", not "forged" (unless you DID ), so I can't see any issues there. You (referring to the order of liability in my previous post) will liable according to Civil Law, not Criminal and as long as your girlfriend is able to clear her account should this cause a negative balance, I'm sure there will be no backlash, only a lesson learned the hard way.

In these types of cases, the vehicle rarely (if ever) changes hands. I'm glad you didn't lose your snowmobile AND the money.

Good luck the rest of the way.

#3472 - 12/20/04 11:59 AM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got scamed also I sold a lawn mower on ebay and I got scamed it take the back six days to take all the money out of my account what can I do I cash the check on the 9 of dec. and it was not intill the 18 dec. before i check my account and I had no money

#3473 - 04/27/05 12:33 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

will one bank cash a cashiers check drawn off of another bank if you have no acct there?

#3474 - 04/27/05 01:04 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
BrendaC Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: Sweet Home AL
Generally, no.

#3475 - 05/14/05 08:17 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont feel bad i was scammed by good faith too.(4800 dollars.I sent 4000 to nigera of course the bank paid themselves back the rest plus my rent money when cashiers check came back,I was just selling puppies. The bank cashed my cashiers check 12 hrs after depositing it. Hey to you people posting and wanting answares remember a banker is giving you the goods whos side is he on. Probably not yours.email horan4@hotmail.com

#3476 - 05/14/05 08:25 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are the names of the people I western union the money to in Lagos, Nigera (sound Familiar anyone) Toya Benson from global shipping and Tola Smith . The purchaser was Micheal Cole he uses a yahoo email mike_cole01@yahoo.com.
If anyone has the same contact info mayby we could help others. email me horan4@hotmail.com

#3477 - 05/17/05 08:59 AM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Fraud Pup Offline
Diamond Discusser

For the record, the bank took the check "in good faith" and gave you credit for the check "in good faith". Had you mentioned that you were going to Western Union with the $4k to wire it to Nigeria, you would not have sustained a loss. I've saved dozens of these recently. One of our tellers placed a hold on a money order that came back counterfeit. The customer was elated when I called and told him that it had been charged back but he lost only the $100 that we gave him up front. There are happy endings, too.

#3478 - 05/17/05 03:38 PM Re: CASHIERS CHECK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ordinary hard working people should be made more aware of these scams. I'm a victim too, but I thought I did all the right stuff. I received my counterfeit cashers check and took it to one of the 'personal bankers' at my bank and told them specifically that I wanted to make sure I wasn't scammed. The young man told me to 'deposit the check' which I did on a Friday morning. I then waited until the following Thursday and called the bank and was told the money was in my account. I then went to the bank the next day (7 days after my deposit) and went to see the same young man who dialed up my account and told me specifically that 'the money was in my account', so I WU'd the 'extra' amount to the receipent in Ohio. On the following Monday I returned to the bank with a xerox copy of the check after hearing about possible scams over the weekend from my friends. In ten minutes it was determined that the check was counterfeit and would not be honored. The bank of course denies any wrong doing...do I chaulk it up to poor customer service that failed to address my concerns or is there a way to address this?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >