Legend for Icons
 Article    Q&A

 Podcast  Video

 Blog  Discussions

PDF    Powerpoint Web

  Home >> Checks/Money Orders >> Money Orders  
Cashing Old Money Order

I found an old money order from a bank that I used to use that I never cashed. It is from 1979. Is it still mine and how can I go about cashing it?

You can attempt to cash it, but you need to look on the money order itself for a point of contact. Next, contact that telephone number or address and ask about a reclamation process. It may well be that the funds have been escheated, which means turned over to your state. This is one web site that may help you find money owned by you, but turned over to a state. There are other sites that charge a fee.

Published on 4/02/08